Long-standing successful cooperation with UNESCO-UNEVOC
The United Nations' International Centre for Technical and Vocational Education and Training (UNESCO-UNEVOC) is a key partner for the BIBB when it comes to international cooperation with multilateral organisations in the field of vocational education and training. The two partners have been working together successfully since 1999.
Cooperation with multilateral organisations is a key area in the BIBB's range of international activities.
The BIBB has been a member of the worldwide network of vocational education and training institutions and organisations that is coordinated by the United Nations' International Centre for Technical and Vocational Education and Training (UNESCO-UNEVOC) already since 1994. The two organisations have a cooperation agreement since 1999.
For example, the BIBB supports the network in the organisation and execution of events and by subject-specific contributions. It advises members regarding the dual system of vocational education and training and provides insights into its implementation in Germany. The BIBB moreover contributes its expertise regarding reform processes in vocational education and training systems.
In 2015, in its capacity as a member of the Special Education Committee of the German UNESCO Commission (DUK), BIBB was involved in drawing up a draft resolution for the implementation of the 2016-2030 UN Education Agenda. It was particularly responsible for ensuring that aspects relating to vocational education and training were included in the DUK Response.
UNESCO-UNEVOC supports the UNESCO member states in reforming their vocational education and training systems. It coordinates a global network of institutions and organisations in the field of vocational education and training. Network members include ministries, research and vocational education and training institutions as well as universities. UNEVOC organises global and interregional training courses, consultations and conferences on various topics regarding vocational education and training. The UNEVOC network was established in 1992; the UNEVOC International Centre in Berlin was established in 1993 and has been headquartered in Bonn since 2002. The BIBB has been a member of the network since 1994. As one out of two UNEVOC centres in Germany the BIBB supports the work done by UNESCO-UNEVOC.
Cooperation between BIBB and UNESCO-UNEVOC in 2015/2016
In 2015/2016, BIBB and UNESCO-UNEVOC are continuing their cooperation by focusing on the main thematic areas of “work-based learning”, “Industry 4.0” and “knowledge management”. Cooperation is taking place in the following areas:
- Capacity building/policy: BIBB and UNEVOC are providing each other with mutual support within the scope of conferences, guest academic researcher visits, workshops, training courses etc.
In 2016, for example, BIBB took part in a networking event hosted by the UNEVOC Regional Cluster Europe and in the UNESCO TVET Forum “Looking ahead: Inspiring and Empowering Youth through Skills Development”. Further to this, UNESCO-UNEVOC was involved in the BIBB Asia-Pacific Partner Meeting in Nanjing, China.
- Knowledge development: Within this area, joint projects are being executed alongside the development of guides, instruments and manuals.
In 2016, BIBB and UNESCO-UNEVOC worked on a joint research project entitled “Work-based learning (WBL): Options for research at an internationally comparative level”.
- Knowledge management: The aim in this field is the joint development of knowledge management instruments for vocational education and training.
The parties have, for example, been collaborating on the worldwide “TVETipedia” glossary on VET terminology since 2014.
In 2016, a separate section for the presentation of the UNEVOC Network, the UNEVOC Resource Centre, was established at the BIBB library [https://www.bibb.de/bibliothek], the largest special academic research library on the thematic area of VET and VET research in the German speaking countries.
- The secondment of experts between BIBB and UNESCO-UNEVOC and the organisation of study visits are further instruments which are having a sustainable influence on cooperation between BIBB and UNEVOC.
Cooperation between BIBB and UNESCO-UNEVOC in 2013/2014
Since 2013/14 the cooperation activities between the BIBB and UNESCO-UNEVOV primarily focus on the fields of knowledge management and greening TVET. The secondment of two experts from the BIBB to the UNEVOC International Centre in Bonn resulted in the implementation of the following measures:
- revision of the UNESCO-UNEVOC internet presence, which now provides more information and is more user-friendly;
- revision and extension of the TVETipedia online glossary, which now contains 500 terms with nearly 750 definitions;
- creation of a UNEVOC "Greening TVET Framework";
- production of the "Skills Challenges in the Water and Wastewater Industry – Contemporary Issues and Practical Approaches in TVET" brochure, a collaboration between the BIBB, UNEVOC and the German Water Association (DWA).
Other noteworthy events resulting from the cooperation between the BIBB and UNESCO-UNEVOC in 2013/14 included:
- The global BIBB partner meeting in Leipzig in July 2013 on the Topic "Greening TVET", organised with support from UNESCO-UNEVOC;
- UNESCO-UNEVOC Regional Forum: "Advancing TVET for Youth Employability and Sustainable Development in Africa", which took place in September 2013 and for which the BIBB presented the subsequent panel discussion;
- The global online conference on the topic of "Greening TVET and Sustainable Development in Policy and Practice", which was organised by the UNESCO-UNEVOC Centre in Bonn in November 2013 and during which the qualification requirements and implementation strategies in this field were discussed. The BIBB was involved in presenting the conference;
- Secondment of two experts from the BIBB (06/2013-12/2014 and 06/2013-12/2015)
- Contributions by BIBB experts in UNEVOC regional forums and assistance in the preparation of the forums;
- Support of the UNEVOC Global Forum in October 2014 by seconding a project manager and other contributions. "Promising Practice" projects highlighting innovative approaches to vocational education and training were presented and awarded. Representatives from UNEVOC Centres from around the world participated in the forum.
Framework for cooperation BIBB-UNESCO-UNEVOC
The BIBB and UNESCO-UNEVOC signed a cooperation agreement in April 1999. The agreement provides for cooperation in the following fields:
- exchange of information regarding planned programmes, events, projects, results, publications;
- mutual provision of material, information brochures, publications;
- content-related cooperation regarding select topics in the field of vocational education and training, such as joint drafting of programmes, establishment and further development of international expert networks, joint organisation of events and projects as well as joint publications;
- secondment of experts between BIBB and UNESCO-UNEVOC;
- provision of field placements for experts from the fields of research, professional practice and politics.